DRESS AND GROOMING
The Unionville-Chadds Ford School District considered
basic guidelines when determining appropriate school
attire. These guidelines
4. Preservation of the Educational Environment
We at UCFSD believe that student dress and overall
appearance should foster a positive and productive
environment and should reflect pride in one's self as well
as in our school. We further believe that student dress and
appearance is a shared responsibility of the home and the
The administration will make the final judgment on the
appropriateness of clothing and/or appearance, and reserves
the right to prohibit students from wearing any articles of
clothing or other items which lead to or may foreseeably
result in the disruption of or interference with the school
environment. In the event the administration determines a
student's dress is inappropriate for school in accordance
with these guidelines, the administration will then require
the student to change.
SECTION I - GENERAL
1. Tattered, torn, or ripped clothing is prohibited
2. Excessive baggy pants or baggy clothing is prohibited
3. Under clothing may not be exposed
4. Skin-tight clothing is prohibited
SECTION II - TOPS
The following items are unacceptable: Muscle shirts,
spaghetti strap/halter/mesh tops, see-through blouses or
shirts, tube tops or crop tops. Tops should completely cover
undergarments. Tank tops must be worn with undergarments
that are completely covered.
Any top that is skin-tight, or allows the midriff, cleavage,
undergarments, or bare back to be exposed is not
Coats, jackets, or garments designed for protection from
outside weather are not to be worn in school and should be
secured in lockers during the school day.
SECTION III - PANTS, SHORTS,
1. Pants, shorts, and skorts must be secured and worn no
lower than the hip. Low riding, sag style is not
2. Length of pants should not extend beyond the bottom of
the shoe and should not drag on the floor, to a point of
3. Tear-away pants, boxer shorts
worn as outerwear are permitted only if worn over other
4. All shorts, skirts, skorts, and
slits in skirts must touch the bottom of the fingertips with
arm fully extended.
5. Cutoffs, or clothing with
holes, of any type are not permitted.
SECTION IV - OFFENSIVE DRESS
1. Clothing, patches, buttons, pins, jewelry, back packs
are not permitted if they: Have sexually suggestive
writing/pictures; advocate violence, advertise or promote
the use of tobacco, alcohol, or drugs; have double meaning
wording or obscene language/gestures, disrespectful, or
satanic in nature.
2. A tattoo must be covered if it: has sexually suggestive
writing/pictures, advocates violence; advertises or promotes
the use of tobacco, alcohol or drugs, disrespectful,
prejudicial, or satanic in nature.
SECTION V - FOOTWEAR
1. Appropriate footwear must be worn at all times
2. Any shoe that poses a safety hazard is not permitted
3. Shoes with laces must be tied.
4. Sandals and flip-flops are permitted unless prohibited by
a specific class activity as determined by the
SECTION VI - JEWELRY
1. Spiked jewelry, chains, or any jewelry that could
cause injury or constitute a hazard are not
SECTION VII - HEADWEAR
1. Hats, caps, bandanas, sunglasses, visors, and
sweatbands are not permitted.
SECTION VIII - HEALTH AND
1. Any apparel that is judged to be unhealthy or
unsanitary (e.g., clothing that is dirty and/or gives off a
foul odor) is not permitted.
2. Each student is expected to maintain good personal
The Administration will give
consideration to the appropriateness of the above for
"Spirit Days" and special events.