Top Bar


Off-Canvas

COVID-19 Metrics - Community Update #2

Dear UCF Community, 

The opening of school this year has been like no other. While our virtual program is outstanding - we all long for the return to in-person instruction.  I know that students, parents, teachers, and staff all are experiencing things a little differently and that some days it seems that there are more changes than constants - we all come to that conclusion honestly. I know that we are all doing our best in a difficult situation - and that makes a world of difference.  UCF is well prepared for what is ahead.

As promised - our weekly review, in consultation with Dr. Sulieman, of COVID-19 transmission rates took place yesterday. See the most recent report here. These are the important takeaways:

  • Chester County has seen a weekly decrease in positivity rates from 6.1% to 5.5%;
  • Chester County has seen a weekly decrease in incidence rate per 100,000 from 67.2 to 64.4;
    • UCF municipalities have seen an increase in incidents from 7 to 11;
    • Projected cases - in the coming weeks - have flattened out for Chester County.

 

This evening the Board will take action on three important items and will use the most recent scientific data in their decision-making. These voting items are:

  • Academic Health and Safety Plan - A detailed explanation of how UCF will deliver instruction in the hybrid model - 
    • K-5 hybrid - an am-pm model where half the students attend in the morning and half the students attend in the afternoon;
    • 6-12 hybrid - One-third of students attend in person each day (on an AB/CD/EF schedule). The other two-thirds attend via zoom and asynchronous assignments;
  • Proposed Phased Reopening - Transition from virtual to hybrid instruction -
    • The Board will discuss bringing K-5 back to school - in a hybrid plan - on October 12;
    • While there will be no vote on 6-12 (they will remain in a virtual model) - if numbers continue in a positive trend - the Board will vote on October 12 to transition to a 6-12 hybrid on October 26;
  • Athletic Health and Safety Plan - Plan that would allow for high school interscholastic athletic contests -
    • It is important to note that while resuming athletics comes at a risk - it is an optional activity; 
    • We have developed plans that make these activities as safe as is possible.   


Months of planning, tweaking, and revising have given us a good understanding of the challenges ahead.  We have worked together, with the community, and with experts. All of that collaboration and the combined experience, information, and intellect we tapped into showed us the breadth and depth of the transitions ahead.  Our focus, as always, is on ensuring that our students and staff have all of the tools needed as the way we deliver instruction changes again.

Your support continues to be appreciated.  Your trust in our plans and how they will be implemented allows us to keep our eyes on the prize - safely returning to school.  Your understanding that we are all in this together is the key to our success.

 

 

Kind Regards,


John Sanville
 

 

 


Timeline of events/decision process:

 

September 21

Potential Board vote on instructional model starting October 12 - the vote is only necessary if there is to be a change in the instructional model. If there is no vote - the next possible change in the instructional model is October 26.

September 22

Weekly update to the community

September 25

Release of updated COVID-19 data by PA DOH and CCHD

September 26

Weekly meeting with Dr. Sulieman

September 28

Weekly update to the community

October 2

Release of updated COVID-19 data by PA DOH and CCHD

October 3 or 4

Weekly meeting with Dr. Sulieman

October 5

Weekly update to the community

October 9

Release of updated COVID-19 data by PA DOH and CCHD

October 10

Weekly meeting with Dr. Sulieman

October 12

Dr. Sulieman presentation at the work session 

October 12

Potential Board vote on instructional model starting October 26 - the vote is only necessary if there is to be a change in the instructional model. If there is no vote - the next possible change in the instructional model is November 2.

October 13 Weekly update to the community
October 16 Release of updated COVID-19 data by PA DOH and CCHD
October 17 or 18  Weekly meeting with Dr. Sulieman
October 18  Potential Board vote on instructional model starting November 2 - the vote is only necessary if there is to be a change in the instructional model.  If there is no vote - the next possible change in the instructional model is November 23.