Dear UCF Community,
This week’s weather certainly has us thinking that spring may be right around the corner - similarly, this week’s COVID-19 metrics give us hope that brighter days are ahead. I’ll be sharing our weekly COVID-19 metrics, a reminder about this week’s schedule, an update on vaccines for our staff, and our plan for a full K-12 return to in-person learning on March 15 - which the Board approved last night.
Last night Dr. Sulieman presented her weekly analysis of COVID-19 metrics to the School Board. See the latest report here (View a recording of her presentation here). Key takeaways include:
- Chester County positivity rates decreased from 5.53% to 4.73%;
- Chester County has seen a weekly decrease in incidence rate per 100,000 from 95.00 to 84.57;
- Projections indicate that Chester County will remain in the high transmission rate category for the next few weeks with the possibility of a shift to moderate over the next month;
- The UCF community had a decrease from 22 to 20;
- UCF has seen 84 cases (students and staff) this year with 11 over the past four weeks;
- The PA DOH has earmarked 271 Johnson and Johnson vaccines for UCF employees - vaccinations will begin this week.
Last night the School Board approved our plan for full, in-person instruction beginning March 15, 2021. We look forward to inviting all students back on Monday, March 15. As a reminder, the option for remote instruction will continue for students who still wish to remain home. This is an outline of the plan:
- Phase 1 - Elementary schools will return to our regular full-day school schedule (except Wednesdays) beginning March 15, 2021. Wednesday half-days continue - all students attend in the AM.
- Phase 2 - Elementary schools will return to the regular full-day schedule on Wednesdays on a date to be determined.
- Phase 1 - Secondary schools will return for in-person instruction on March 15, 2021. They will keep the current school schedule including virtual Wednesdays for Patton Middle School.
- Phase 2 - Secondary schools will change to our regular full-day school schedule on a date to be determined.
In preparation for inviting all students back for in-person instruction on March 15, the District is making a change to the calendar. Friday, March 12, 2021 will now be an in-service day for staff with no instructional programs for students. This will allow our staff the time to properly prepare for a full student return. In order to add this staff in-service day, we made the following changes to our schedule tomorrow, March 10, 2021:
- Kindergarten and second through fifth grade will have a regular half-day (AM/PM);
- Pre-first and first grade will have a regular full day;
- Middle School will operate on a Friday schedule with hybrid group #2 in person;
- High school will operate on a Gold Day schedule.
On March 3, Governor Wolf announced that the Johnson & Johnson single-dose COVID-19 vaccine will be allocated to PreK-12 teachers and other school staff. Beginning March 12, 2021, a group of 271 UCFSD staff will receive the vaccine as part of Phase 1 distribution. The remaining staff will receive the vaccine as part of Phase 2 distribution which will begin April 5, 2021. Based on communication from Harrisburg - I am hopeful that all of our staff who want to be vaccinated will be by mid-April. This is a tremendous added mitigation measure as we move through the remainder of the school year.
I hope you all have the opportunity to spend some time outside, get some fresh air and enjoy this nice weather we are having! Thank you again for your continued support.