Unionville Music Parents Association (UMPA)
UMPA is made up of parents of Students in Orchestra, Chorus, Band, Marching Band, Indoor Percussion, and Indoor Color Guard. The organization’s role is to enhance and enrich the experience of UHS music students; to recognize student accomplishments; to inform parents about events and activities.
Join the UMPA Team!
If you are a parent of a music student at UHS, PLEASE choose to enhance our music students' experience by volunteering for an open Committee Chair position or to serve on a Committee.
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
- Board & Committee Chairs
- Forms & Documents
- Meeting Minutes
- Musical Extras
- Student Accounts
- Tri-M® Honor Society
Board & Committee Chairs
President: Sharon Zwillinger
Vice President: Jennifer McDonald
Secretary: Katie Acland (shadow Judy Greeley)
Treasurer: Brian Dye
Band Rep: Amy Costello
Orchestra Rep: Sue Reno
Choir Rep: Mary and Steve Thomas
Director of Choirs / Department Chair: Jason Throne
Director of Bands: Eddie Otto
Director of Orchestra and Tri M: Leo Zumpetta
Musical: Joanna Breger and Aparna Peri
Jazz Along the Brandywine: Michelle Modesto and Sue Reno
Senior Folders and Senior Corsages: Julie Brun
Scrip/Raise Right Student Accounts: Sue Reno
Refreshments: Stacey Cotrotsios
Music Awards Banquet: Eileen Day and Leslie Neuberger
Videography: Chris Shigley for instrumental concerts, OPEN for choral concerts and for musical
Indoor Music Directors
Director of Indoor Drumline: Cody Stafford
Director of Indoor Color Guard: Olivia Kleintz
Board of Directors:
- Jason Throne - Director of Choirs
- Eddie Otto - Director of Bands
- Leo Zumpetta - Director of Orchestra
- Sharon Zwillinger - President
- Jennifer McDonald - Vice President
- Katie Acland - Secretary
- Rob Knecht - Treasurer
- Charlene Stone - Orchestra Representative
- Amy Costello - Band Representative
- Mary and Steve Thomas - Choir Representative
Forms & Documents
ALL Returning Music Students Must Pay $35 Dues Annually by October 31
Make Checks Payable to UMPA. Or Pay with PayPal
Submits Checks in an Envelope Labeled “UMPA Dues” in the box on the wall inside the band room.
Student Accounts Are Funds Accumulated by the Student from Ad Sales or from Scrip orders.
Money Can Be Carried Over from Year to Year, but Will Be Moved to the General UMPA Account When the Student Graduates. If the graduating student has a sibling in the program, money can be transferred to the sibling's account.
To Check Your Balance, Email the UMPA Treasurer (TBA)
How Money in Student Accounts is Used
Money in a Student Account May be Applied to the Following Expenses:
Music Department Trips
UMBB or Musical expenses
To Request payment, send an email to the Treasurer with your student’s name, the amount, and what’s being paid (TBA).
Student Ad Sales
Students Sell Advertising Space to Local Businesses for 5 of the Winter and Spring Concerts Performed by the Orchestra, Chorus, and Bands. Please note that school policy restricts some types of ads. Policy is on handouts page
Money Generated by the Sales is Deposited into the Selling Student’s Account.
Forms for Ad Sales May be Downloaded and Printed from the Handout Tab Above.
Direct the Payment, Form, and Ad to the Ad Sales Coordinator (to the address on the form)
Tri-M® Honor Society
Tri-M® is the international honor society recognizing secondary music
students for their musical ability, academic excellence, school involvement,
and community service.
The Music Department at Unionville High School started a Tri-M chapter
in 2010. This society is a national group through Music Educators National
Faculty Advisor Leo Zumpetta, Orchestra Director
The organization accepts students who have a 3.5 grade average
overall in high school and a 4.0 average in music courses. The student
members received a membership pin at their induction and are eligible to
wear a pink (the graduate music color!) cord on their graduation robe.
More information will be provided at the TriM meeting.
What We Do
UMPA enhances and enriches our children’s music experience by supporting the educational and musical goals of the UHS music department. UMPA hopes our children will achieve a lifelong love and appreciation of music. We:
· Support High School Music events: concerts, competitions, musical and PMEA districts and regionals
· Provide funding for directors to purchase equipment and/or provide extra enrichment
· Host the end of year banquet
· Purchase and personalize awards for every music student presented at the banquet
· Fund Tri-M Music Honor Society membership and graduation cords
· Provide refreshments for students at auditions, concerts and special performances
· Provide individual fundraising opportunities for students to raise funds to offset additional expenses
· Purchase personalized music folders for graduating seniors.
Helping Hands is an UMPA program to help cover the cost of dues or music expenses for those who need a little help. If you would like to contribute to the Helping Hands fund, make your check payable to UMPA and designate "Helping Hands" in the memo portion. If you need help to meet music expenses, please contact one of the music directors or UMPA officers for further information. (Remember that students are encouraged to sell ads for the concert programs. Those funds are held in individual student accounts to offset music costs.)
Note: In the Spring of 2008 the Unionville Marching Band Boosters (UMBB) was formed to support the specific needs of the marching band. Although financially separate, UMPA and UMBB remain affiliated through communication and support of all music programs.
UMPA is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. Contributions are tax deductible.
1. Fill out the UMPA Membership Form
2. Pay Your Dues Here:
One Student: $35
Two+ Students: $ 60
Please Consider a Helping Hands Donation
($1 suggested donation)
To pay by check, please place your check payable to "UMPA" in the secured music box in the UHS band room.
Contact: To receive emails from UMPA, please list this email address in your contact - UMPA@ucfsd.net
Constitution & Bylaws
CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS
UNIONVILLE MUSIC PARENTS' ASSOCIATION
ARTICLE I: NAME
The name of this Organization shall be the Unionville Music Parents' Association (UMPA).
ARTICLE II: PURPOSE
The purpose of the Organization shall be to support the students, directors and programs of the Unionville High School Music Department. (Please see the attached Addendum regarding the UMPA and the newly organized Unionville Marching Band Boosters.)
The purpose of this Organization shall be to serve the needs, as they are identified, in support of the activities of the Unionville High School Music Department. The following are some of the obvious areas of responsibility, but in no way is this list intended to be conclusive:
1. Concert refreshments
2. Promotion of the music program
3. Special requests from the music directors
4. Special music events
5. Music banquet and awards ceremony
6. Senior recognition
7. Concert attire
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP
Every parent of a student participating in a group associated with the music department under the leadership of the UHS music directors is automatically a member of this organization and is asked to offer support to the UHS Music program as specified in the objectives of this Club.
ARTICLE IV: OFFICERS
1. The officers of the organization shall be President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.
2. Annual elections shall be held at the last scheduled meeting of each school year. The term of office will begin at the close of that meeting and officers will serve for one year.
3. Duties and responsibilities of the officers are to carry out the role of the respective offices in an orderly fashion.
A. The President shall preside at all meetings and shall perform all other duties pertaining to the office.
B. The Vice President shall act as an aide to the President and shall perform all duties of the President in the absence of that person.
C. The Secretary shall keep the minutes of all meetings and handle correspondence as necessary.
D. The Treasurer shall receive all monies of the club, shall keep an accurate record of receipts and disbursements and shall pay out funds as authorized. The Treasurer shall present a statement of account at every meeting. The Treasurer's records shall be examined annually by the Executive Committee. The Treasurer also maintains separate student accounts specifically designated for student fund raisers.
ARTICLE V: PARENT REPRESENTATIVES
A Parent Representative is to be designated by UMPA from each music department. At no time may a Parent Representative be co-serving on the Board of UMBB. The Parent Representatives are to attend Executive Board meetings and general membership meetings. It is the responsibility of the Parent Representative to be the liaison between their appointed music department and the Board. Parent Representatives will have voting privileges.
ARTICLE VI: EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
The Executive Committee will consist of the Officers, Parent Representatives and Music Directors. The Executive Committee's purpose will be to make decisions between membership meetings, to review the Treasurer's Report and act on other matters as they arise.
ARTICLE VII: MUSIC DIRECTORS
The directors shall act in an advisory capacity with voting privileges.
ARTICLE VIII: COMMITTEES
Committees will be established to support the clubs needs as they are to be met. They will be established to move toward the accomplishment of the purposes listed in Article II.
ARTICLE IX: MEETINGS
1. Usually general membership meetings of the UMPA will be held four times a year (September, November, February, and April).
2. Executive Board meetings will be held at a specified times before the general membership meeting.
3. Special meetings of the Executive Board or general membership can be called by the President. Efforts will be made by email to notify all members concerned of such meetings well in advance.
4. The members present at general membership meetings will constitute a quorum.
5. Voting issues will be carried by the majority of those voting.
ARTICLE X: DISBURSEMENTS
1. Requests for disbursements shall be made in writing or email to the Treasurer and President.
2. Requests for reimbursement must be accompanied by a receipt showing expenses.
3. An expenditure of $200.00 or over must be submitted to the Treasurer and President and approved through majority vote by the Executive Board.
4. Should a check be required that is in excess of $1,000.00, the Treasurer shall obtain written approval by the President prior to release of the check. This approval can be via email.
5. All checks shall require one signature by the Treasurer or President.
6. A minimum balance of $1,000.00 must be maintained in the UMPA bank account.
UMPA Constitution & Bylaws
ARTICLE XI: BUDGET
A budget is to be established before the start of the school year with review at the end of the year.
ARTICLE XII: DUES/DONATIONS
Dues will be required as established by the Board. Add